Pages

19.5.14

Korea - Day 4

When I last left you, I was eating chicken in Daegu. That night I took the bus to my friend's house in Seongju which is a little country town near Daegu. I stayed overnight there and then left to go Busan for 1 night, 2 days. With a couple of stops along the way.

If you've watched the Korean drama Boys Over Flowers then you may know that they filmed some of the high school scenes at Keimyung University, which is in Daegu. I went to the university but I hadn't seen Boys Over Flowers in such a long time that I didn't know which buildings were in the drama or not. But in any case, the campus is so pretty. Why can't we have such nice campuses like that.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

And then I was back at Daegu KTX station to catch the KTX to Busan.

Untitled
Untitled

I had a coffee at one of the many cafes there and I believe this blackboard sign says you can borrow the charger to charge your phone while you sit and sip your coffee.

Untitled

One of my favourite things about Korea is the availability of beer in convenience stores.

Untitled

And the Starbucks in a pre-packaged cup is also a fave.

Untitled

Walnut cakes for the train ride. So good. Made fresh in store.

Untitled
Untitled

Made it to Busan! Well, the station at least!

Untitled
Untitled

Took the train from Busan station to Seomyeon station and then struggled to find the hostel. Google Maps was my saviour because for the life of me I didn't know how to follow the directions from the website. The hostel I stayed at was Busan Blue Backpackers Hostel. The room was clean, had a TV, fridge and a rather large sized bathroom.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Once I checked in the first order of business was to buy some shoes because I only brought boots and flats with me. Flats were too thin for the weather and the boots were too painful to walk in for long periods of time. It took me forever to find an ABC Mart.

Untitled

But at least I got to walk around and see Seomyeon.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Shoes bought I headed to Haeundae. I only know of because of that Korean movie of the same name, which was about a tidal wave that hit the town. It was kinda cold but a clear day. Was tempting to dip toes in the water but so much effort with the shoes and the socks and the rolling up of the pants.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I had done little to no research as to what I would do in Busan so when I got to Haeundae, besides the beach, I had no idea where to go. So I just walked around a little lost and a little frustrated. Still, it was really quite pretty.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I was Kakao-talking with some of my friends in Korea, asking them for suggestions and one of them said to go to Shinsegae, which is a huge department store. I had a little coffee break, bought some socks and did some window shopping because lots of things were so over my price range.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Then I headed back to Seomyeon and was lost trying to find food and then trying to find the hostel again. I was too chicken to go eat in a restaurant by myself. If I went again I would totally eat by myself. I don't know why I was super self-conscious about it. So I wandered, bought pants from Uniqlo, and a sandwich and beer from the nearest convenience store.

Untitled

If I ever go back to Busan I think it should be in the summertime. My friends were telling me about the mud festival and fireworks which would be perfect for summer time at the beach. Probably would try to be a bit braver to try things on my own. I've never travelled on my own before so doing things alone, at the time, seemed pretty daunting.

To Be Continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment