Pages

8.11.14

Korea - Day 6

So my aim is to get these posts from this 2013 trip done before it's the 1 year anniversary of this trip. Fingers crossed!

***

Day 6 of my trip begins early in the morning. Early for me, anyway. The friend I was staying with is an English language teacher and she had to get up early to walk to work. I decided instead of going straight to Seoul, as I had planned, I would walk with my friend to her school and hang around for a bit. I was quite excited to see where she works because I only ever hear, and not see, about their jobs.

Her school was only a short walk from her apartment. We walked through autumn-leaved trees among a whole bunch of students of all ages. Elementary, high school and university students.

Untitled

This is my friend's school in Daegu. I love their playground. The athletic track is awesome. Every primary school should have one.

Untitled

Roaming the hallways.

Untitled

I love these tiles. Love it.

Untitled

We made a visit to the school nurse's room. My friend was in charge of organising gift bags for the children in a local orphanage. So we spent part of the morning handing out the empty gift bags for the teachers to fill up with gifts.

Untitled

Oh hey, me, in my friend's classroom.

Untitled

LOVE beyond words. That's my fave out of these.

Untitled

This is their school lunch and I sat awkwardly with the school principal and other teachers. They attempted to make conversation. I think this was their version of hayashi rice (which is sort of a beef stew type dish). Apparently, I was lucky to have lunch there on this day rather than the day before as the day before's lunch was not as good.

Untitled

My friend's colleague kindly drove me all the way to Dondaegu Station to catch the KTX back to Seoul. Not many pictures because I was so tired at this point and like, pretty over taking photos.

Untitled

After I arrived back to where  I was staying in Seohyun. I did laundry, ate cup noodles, drank beer (that giant beer I bought on Day 1) and watched some YouTube on my phone because laundry takes a long time. Then I decided to head out in zero degree weather (not wearing enough layers at all) to Dongdaemun because I knew it would be open until late.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

This whatever is made out of plastic bottles which I thought was pretty cool.

Untitled
Untitled

The actual gate at Dongdaemun. I didn't know (I know, ignorant) that Dongdaemun was the whole area. The markets. Everything. So I was walking around, in zero degree weather, looking for a sign that would point me to Dongdaemun. I realised it later. But then my enthusiasm had dropped as the temperature did.

Untitled

Food tents. Like in the KDramas, you guys.

Untitled

The upside of my freezing fail tour of Dongdaemun was stumbling across (well, it's not hard to miss) Cheonggyecheon River. I've seen photos of it in daytime, which were taken in summer and it looks like it'd be a lot of fun when it's warmer. I loved stepping across the stones to get to the other side. I love bodies of water so this was nice.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Back to Seohyun. I didn't want to go back to the place I was staying yet. It was close to midnight but Angel-in-us Coffee was open 24 hours. I grabbed a not-so-great cup of coffee while warming up and trying to plan for the next day.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Then my friend messaged me and we went for chicken.

UntitledUntitledUntitled
Untitled

And we didn't finish the chicken between the two of us so yay. Leftovers. It was about 1:30am and yeah, freezing. So back to the apartment for warmth and sleep!

To Be Continued!

(Only maybe 6 more days to go! I will get this done. I will!)

No comments:

Post a Comment