Pages

9.12.12

Le Pelican, Surry Hills

Last Thursday my friends and I headed to contemporary French Restaurant Le Pelican in Surry Hills. Though I think Surry Hills is a bit misleading XD. We GPS'd our way to it and walked the backstreets. We didn't realise that if you continued up Oxford Street for a bit and then turn right you'll find it much more easily.

Untitled
Untitled

There was about 30 of us. I'm guess-timating here and we had the $70 A la carte menu.

Untitled

They placed a copy of the menu at every seat. Once everyone arrived the ordering process was explained. The waitress would come around to each person and take the orders for all 3 courses: Entrée, main and dessert.

Untitled
Complimentary bread

Entrées
Untitled
“Pâté Maison” onion jam & cornichon
Out of all of the entrees, this would have been the most filling. But I suppose, that's not what entrees are for.

UntitledUntitled
Seared scallops, new season garlic, braised cos, guindilla & mullet roe
I was expecting more scallops, to be honest.

Mains
Untitled
Coorong Angus onglet, potato mille-feuille & sauce vierge

Untitled
House smoked Flathead pie, “lobster bisque”
This was pretty good. And rather filling. That bowl is deep. I barely finished it because I was getting pretty full.

Dessert
Untitled
Soufflé "Retour du marché"
Don't let the colour trick you. It's strawberry or berry flavoured which was totally unexpected when I took a bite.

Untitled
Buttermilk Vacherin, dried fruits & maple syrup
Too much crushed ANZAC biccie and not enough sorbet.

Untitled
Chocolate fondant, thyme ice cream
When you open it up, chocolate gushes out. The chocolate's not too sweet but it's still good.

Overall, it was a good dining experience. The interior was very pretty. Food presentation was amazing. The food itself, wasn't as amazing as I expected for the price. But it was good and it was good to try somewhere different.

(NOTE: The names of the dishes might differ from what they are. I got the names from the online menu but it appears as though they're not exactly like the menu that we had on the night. And I didn't take a photo of the menu!)

  • Find Le Pelican at Shop 2, 411 Bourke Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010. 
Le Pelican on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment